Today’s breakfast & my trusty juicer…

by Erica on April 11, 2012

For the last four months, I’ve made a green juice at least five mornings a week- and I’m loving it…  Today’s recipe- cucumber, kale, pears, carrots (not green, I know), ginger, celery, romaine lettuce, and my secret ingredient to kill the excessive green taste- lemon.  My husband, who isn’t normally a fan of fruits and veggies, is even into it now.  Good health really is contagious- pass it on!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Maria April 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Talk about chock full of vitamins! Have you noticed any change in how you feel since you’ve started drinking this? I would love to become disciplined enough to eat healthier. Falling back to cookies and coffees is too easy. :-p

Erica April 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hi Maria! The one thing I noticed pretty quickly was that on the days that I juiced in the morning, I wouldn’t find myself snacking late at night. I was shocked that what I ate in the morning influenced my hunger at night. It finally dawned on me that when I feel hungry, my body isn’t just hungry for food- it’s telling me it needs nutrients. When I juice and get the nutrients, I don’t snack as much because my body has what it needs.

As for being disciplined- I found that when I stopped striving for perfection, and accepted that in order to succeed, it would mean I’d need to be flexible with myself, then I was able to do it. In other words, I don’t strive to juice every day because I know for me, it’s not realistic. So, if I miss a couple days a week, it’s not a big deal, but if I can juice every day, then it’s an added boost.

Many thanks for commenting- I think I found one of my upcoming topics for a post- how perfectionism sabotages us and keeps us from continuing healthy behaviors. “See” you around the blog!!

Leslie April 12, 2012 at 6:26 am

Ainsley and I recently watched a documentary called “Food Matters.” If you haven’t seen it, give it a watch. Very interesting and thought-provoking…

Erica April 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thanks Leslie- I will definitely have to watch it!!! The last one we saw that we really liked was, “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.” I think it does for men, what Crazy, Sexy, Cancer tends to do for women. My husband was totally interested in juicing after watching it. 😉

Alyce April 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for inspiring me with picture! My mouth watered…my body is most definitely tuned into the greens!! I love it!

Erica April 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I know Al, aren’t greens just delicious??? How lovely that we are both juicing ladies now!!! 🙂

Lindsey April 18, 2012 at 1:11 am

Hey Lady, love the blog! (except it makes me miss ya more) One quick question, what kind of juicer do you have? I know you told me at some point but I don’t remember. Looking forward to more, and we need to catch up soon 🙂

Linds

Erica April 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hey Lindsey- thanks so much for checking out my blog! I have a “Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor.” I really like it… Yes- we need to catch up soon!! 🙂 Miss you too!!!